Religion is everywhere

 America is a religious country no matter what the constitution says and living in this country produces a feeling of dread because the religious push is everywhere.  I'm sitting in a coffee shop and the people sitting here are talking about god and jesus and I'm hearing one person tell the other that their life will not be good without the belief in both.  What the hell?  (I had to go and force the editor to put the terms into lower case because the world feels that god and jesus are proper nouns.)

I'm spending time preparing for a lesson with my kids about the elections coming up and every single resource that I'm finding is coming from a lens of religion.  Over and over each resource I find references back to Prager U.  This resource is founded by a highly religious and conservative person whose whole purpose of founding the organization is to influence people to think one particular way.  I want resources that are free from a goal like this.  I want the facts and only the facts.   

So I'm going to have to develop my own lesson because the amount of time I've used to find something I can use could have been used to create my own.  [curse word!]   I want a place online where resources are placed that have no intent to steer our opinions one way or another but give facts only.  As a homeschool parent I wonder how many families use the resources because they seem just fine but in reality they are not fine at all.  

I know jesus was a cool cat but I don't need to include his teachings in everything I teach my kids.  I am completely fine if others want to do that but it is my reality that most of the resources out there in the world are created for homeschool families with this in every thread of curriculum.


Comments

Popular Posts