IEP wishes

 So ... where do I start with this part of my homeschooling journey - the Individualized Educational Program.  

I wanted an IEP for my third child because I felt there were resources that needed to be tapped into to assist the way this child learns.  For example, Grace consistently hears sounds differently - and speaks sounds differently.  While she is attempting to read and write she finds herself doing so differently and this is okay so long as there aren't actual issues that are stopping her from writing words or reading words as intended.  If we can identify why she does this then I'd feel much better moving forward with her progress and being assessed for any issues is important.   

I also want her to be physically supported if she chooses to attend a class a couple times a week at the learning center, she would need assistance and/or an emergency plan should she attend.   The IEP allows her to get these resources.

She started with Springs Charter School in August 2023 and it is now April 2024 and her IEP has not been finalized.  Springs charter school has taken a long time to get everything set up for her and now we'll start the 2024-2025 school year much like we started the 2023-2034 school year.  My focus has been in Grace's medical needs and I have placed my trust in the Springs staff to do right by the IEP and follow through on things.  We have hit a wall with this obviously and now I'll share my focus on both fronts, both medically and academically.  

I have signed Alan up for Springs Charter school so that he can get some courses for free and he can prepare himself for how he might want to do high school.  I am thinking it is best to decline any IEP work for him until they say otherwise.  We'll see what their thoughts are on the matter but my suspicion is that an IEP will not be required/needed. 

Comments

Popular Posts